Rye, founded in 1660 when Peter Disbrow, Thomas Studwell and John Coe came from Greenwich with a small group of settlers. As a result, Rye is the oldest settlement in Westchester County. John Budd joined Rye settlers in 1661. A treaty signed with the Mohegan Indians gave the settlers the land between Milton Point and the Byram River (Peningo Neck) as well as Manursing Island (home of private residences as well as the Manursing Island Club and The Westchester Country Club (beach)). Over subsequent years land was aquired that now encomasses the City and Town of Rye, Harrison and White Plains. Including parts of North Castle and Mamaroneck in NY and parts of Greenwich CT.
The settlement was named Rye in 1665 when the Connecticut merged them and named the area after their ancestoral home of Rye in England (UK). In 1683 Rye was unwillingly ceded to the New York Province by King Charles II as a gift to his brother, the Duke of York. Then in 1695, when a NY court severed the Harrison area from the settlement, Rye rejoined Connecticut in protest. Then in 1700 Rye permanently became part of NY again by a royal decree. The New York State Legislature officially established the Town of Rye borders in 1788.